Here is how to ask for a new doctor related to a semi-truck accident:

Asking for a new doctor in relation to a semi-truck accident is a sensitive subject. No one likes to confront their doctor and ask for a new evaluation. An easier way to ask your doctor for a new doctor is to frame it in a different context. You can tell your doctor that you are getting a second opinion, and you need your medical records to be viewed by another doctor.

When to ask for a new Doctor:

Here are a few scenarios where you should consider asking for a new doctor.

Not paying attention to your head injury: This is by far and away the most common. Semi-Truck accidents regularly cause traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries are often the result of these accidents because of the massive amounts of force that is involved. They are also the most under-diagnosed injury in the United States that demands treatment. An undiagnosed head injury will change your or your loved ones life.

Here is how you can tell if the doctor is passing over your head injury:

If you complain of pain or trauma to your head after the accident, and the doctor does not seek an MRI or CT scan of your head.

This one is pretty cut and dry.

If you mention that you hit your head, and the doctor tells you it will go away, and just gives you some pain medicine for your headache.

This is also cut and dry. If you are involved in an accident with a semi-truck, and the doctor assumes your head pain will go away, you should get a second opinion.

If the doctor wants to diagnose you with Post Concussive Syndrome, this is often a doctor’s under-diagnoses of a traumatic brain injury. This is the doctor’s way of saying you had a concussion, but did not have a more serious traumatic brain injury. If the doctor diagnoses you with this injury, when you have ongoing dizziness, balance issues, vision issues, chronic headaches, or any of the other problems associated with a traumatic brain injury, you should seek a second opinion. Be clear; ask the doctor – do I have post concussive syndrome or a traumatic brain injury.


Depending whether you have a PPO or HMO may play a role in how easy it is for you to ask for a new doctor.

If you have a PPO, you just go to the new doctor, and expect to pay a fee if the doctor is out of network.

IF you have an HMO, it depends what type of doctor you want to replace. To get a new primary doctor is going to be very difficult. If this is the case, the easiest way to get a new primary doctor is by calling your HMO provider and asking them nicely for a new primary doctor.

If you have an HMO, and you seek to have a new specialist doctor, you need to talk to your primary care doctor and ask him or her to get a second opinion. The primary care doctor will refer you to another of the same type of doctor in network.

*Disclaimer: This information is for informational purposes only. Only a doctor can accurately evaluate you; however this information hopefully will help you and your doctors make medical decisions about your semi-truck accident medical treatment.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

1 + 1 = ?